Friday 21 December 2007

I'm not going mad...

Hello! So it's the end of term and all is well with the world (except I have a delightful cold sore and eczema on the back of my knees. Yay.)

I spent yesterday in the Royal Sussex Hospital's ear, nose and throat department having a barrage of tests. I have been diagnosed with Auditory Processing Disorder. It basically means that my ears and brain don't always match up, so I see someone speaking to me, but don't process the information. Reading the list of symptoms, it was like a lightbulb going off- bad memory, trouble following verbal directions, not hearing very well, needing lots of repetition. The doctor says I've probably had it for years but it became clear in my teaching. Ironically, after years of thinking my hearing was going, it's actually pretty good! It's just a relief to know I'm not going mad. It's considered to be an 'invisible disability', like dyslexia. If I register myself as disabled, the school can put things in place to help me. I'm not sure how I feel about that, really. I'm not really disabled and it would feel silly to say otherwise. I have been referred to a hearing therapist in the new year, so I should hold back until I've spoken with him/her.

Anyway, the doctor said I have to tell work colleagues, friends and family that I need them to look at me when they speak to me and just be aware. So, here I am telling you :) Basically, please don't look away or cover your mouth when you speak to me, as I won't understand what you're saying or I won't catch it.

Oh, and did I mention that I have a dental appointment on Monday?? Bah Humbug!

No comments: